Saturday, December 1, 2007

Oil Spill in the Bay


There was an oil spill earlier this month and I thought it was about time I wrote about it. A barge hit the Bay Bridge and gallons of oil spilled into the bay. This has caused major problems environmentally.


I remember looking at the news and seeing all these birds being completely covered in oil and I pretty much figured that many other marine animals looked the same. This is harmful for birds because the oil can never be fully cleaned naturally and this can affect their ability to fly. People could not even go in the water because of the thick oil in the water and the sand.


This oil spill got me really upset because I feel like we all need to be very careful with our waters and not take advantage of them. This oil spill was a serious problem and it really caused damage to the bay. Even by doing other activities such us jet skiing can cause small amounts of oil to leak into our waters and that affects the wildlife as well. Therefore, there should be severe consequences for anyone who causes oil spills or damages our wildlife.

No comments: