Monday, October 1, 2007

Time Zones


I really found it very helpful learning about time zones and how they really work. I always wondered what determined time zones andy why certain parts were ahead and why some were behind.


By reading the chapter and listening to the lecture in class made me realize that it was all about Geography and the rotation of the planet. Since not all of the planet faces the sun all at the same time, time zones were made. However, it is true that governments can have a say in time zones in there country. I remember hearing about China in class and how their time zone is not the same because the government does not want to go by it. That means their lifestyle might be very different from the rest of the world's, just because their hours do not coincide with ours.


In was also reading how on Yahoo! News, Anne Bligh from Queensland (I'm guessing Australia?) does not want to enforce daylight savings time in that part of the country. This decision has split the state apart. Even tourists are saddened because no daylight savings time means less time to go out at night. (I can't believe it even affects tourism!).


It amazes me how time difference can be so controversial around the world. This must be a really important issue, and I can understand that.

No comments: